Footmarks of a traveller

Monday, January 09, 2006

Record-breaking cold in the North

Temperature in Delhi dropped to as low as 0.2 degrees Celsius yesterday at 8:30 a.m. Last time, the temperature dropped down to these levels was in 1935- 70 years back!!
Patiala went to as low as -4 degrees. Rajasthan also shivered.


Dhal lake in Kashmir and Nakki Lake in Mount Abu have frozen! 150 people died in Punjab and 100 odd in Delhi because of such an intense cold.

Television channels were showing pictures of water frozen over cars in Delhi, Patiala, Jalandhar. On TV, people- covered in shawls, sweaters, jackets, headscarves etc.- could be seen enjoying the winter by squatting around a fire, sipping tea and cracking jokes. In Shimla (pronounced as Shimle by Punjabis :), school girls and boys were dancing on folk songs in groups to make winter more lively.

I miss being in the North.

Is it a climatic change? Is Delhi (North of India) going to experience such a winter every season?
I wish I was in my hometown to see ice on top of cars. It would have been amazing. The only time I have seen it snow was in Walldorf in year 2004 in March, April.

I called up a friend in Cyprus last evening and he told me that a taxi was waiting for him downstairs and that he was leaving for Australia. Hope his visit is better this time.

4 Comments:

  • Just wanted to let you know that I have changed the URL of my blog. It is now: http://albernegedanken.blogspot.com/.

    By Blogger Emma, at 5:26 AM, January 10, 2006  

  • shimla is shimle only as an abbreviated or conjugated form.. generally meaning "to shimla" as in "shimle jaana hai?" or for "in shimla" as in "meri sis shimle rehti hai". but shimla is shimla.

    here we conclude short and intelligent lesson of the punjabi hindi. namaskar.

    By Blogger a s a, at 9:24 PM, January 27, 2006  

  • @methinks: Thank you hai ji...
    Still i would say, i have hardly heard elders use the word 'shimla'...

    BTW, i will attribute my lack of understanding the nitty-gritty's of punjabi to my not being a punjabi- i am a multani... :)

    @OotFog: Where are you? After all these years, i want to ascertain whether you are a punjabi or a multani?

    By Blogger Shoonya, at 3:25 PM, February 01, 2006  

  • I'm right here. You just had to ask for me. :)

    I never thought that you were unsure about my roots and origin. Here you go, on the record: I'm a Punjabi.

    About Shimla: I think it has more to do with the final 'A' sound than anything else. Ludhiana, Bhatinda, Patiala and even Gurudwara for example, get similar treatment from Punjabis.

    Just flows easier that way from the Punjabi tongue :)

    BTW, I was at SCG yesterday for VB series 2nd final. It was cool.

    -OotFog

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home