Footmarks of a traveller

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Games Indians play

Over the long weekend of Diwali, I read V Raghunathan’s ‘Games Indians Play’- Why we are the way we are. This book was gifted to me by KK.

I found it very interesting- his approach to the subject, I mean; the subject itself is nothing to be proud of.

He has tried to throw an insight into problems affecting our country (or countrymen) like corruption, traffic jams, defecating on the roads, jumping queue, pollution, no self- regulation, lack of basic amenities – the list is endless- thru game theory and I think he has been successful in doing so.

You will not encounter any feeling of joy while reading this book not because of the book but because of the hopeless and depressing state of our country. I particularly liked one line in this book, which read, ‘A glorious past is no consolation for the sorry present’.

Except for the application of game theory to understand the psyche of Indians, there is nothing new you are going to read in this book. This book makes one realize the ease with which one accepts the filth spread around, the ease with which one adjusts with the non-existence of any kind of established system in any field in India.

I would say a must read. The author also goes on to stay that we mistake words for action.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home