Footmarks of a traveller

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Namashkar

Back in North of India, we still greet our elders with ‘Namaste’.

But, I work in the South (2500 Kilometers away from my home) where predominantly South Indian languages are spoken. I don’t have any elders here and most of the people I speak to are in the same age group. Therefore, I address acquaintances and colleagues with a ‘hi’ or a ‘hello’.

Whenever I pass by him (SK), he greets me with a prompt, ‘Namashkar’. To your surprise, readers, he is a South Indian and he speaks hindi very clearly though this is not my reason for putting this entry here.

When some people fight in the name of regionalism, ask Multinational companies to employ regional people, stone multiplexes and cinemas that screen English or Hindi movies, passing by this person with a very honest ‘Namashkar’ on his lips shows that there is still a hope for this country.

I feel like wishing him in his language next time he greets me with a ‘Namashkar’.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home